[cifs-protocol] [REG:112051046226036] Windows 2008 R2 doesn’t return expiry on SMB2 expired sessions

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 6 12:55:42 MDT 2012

Hi Metze:
Thank you for pointing out this behavior of Windows 2008 R2. In a future release of MS-SMB2, section “3.3.5.2.9   Verifying the Session” will be modified as follows:

Existing text
=========

“…
If a session is found and Session.State is set to Expired, the server MUST fail the request with STATUS_NETWORK_SESSION_EXPIRED….
“

New text
=======

“…
If a session is found and Session.State is set to Expired, the server SHOULD <WBN> fail the request with STATUS_NETWORK_SESSION_EXPIRED…
“
“<WBN>>: Section 3.3.5.2.9: When Session.State is Expired, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 servers do not fail the request in the following cases: If the SMB2 header of the request has SMB2_FLAGS_SIGNED set in the Flags field, and the request is not an SMB2 LOCK request as specified in section 2.2.26.”

Please let me know if it does not answer your question.

Regards,
Obaid Farooqi
Escalation Engineer | Microsoft

Exceeding your expectations is my highest priority.  If you would like to provide feedback on your case you may contact my manager at nkang at Microsoft dot com