[cifs-protocol] 112050346749387 handle based permission checks in SMB1?

Sreekanth Nadendla srenaden at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 9 20:54:44 MDT 2012

Hello Volker,
Based on test results and some verification,  we have found that some command groups (e.g.  session management)  in general do not enforce change in the latest security token in the session while others ( e.g.  Transaction sub-protocol commands) do enforce latest security token resulting from the re-authentication operation performed. Below is a representative list of commands from the two categories described. Please note that because of the effort involved in testing/cross checking with spec, this is not a complete list of every SMB command. If you have any follow up questions please let us know. For instance if a specific list of commands you are interested in are not listed here and you want to know specifically how they work, do not hesitate to reply to this e-mail with that list. Also for obsolete commands, would you still be interested in how security is applied for those ?

Category  A:  Commands that use latest security token associated with session resulting from re-authentication

SMB_COM_CREATE_DIRECTORY
SMB_COM_OPEN
SMB_COM_OPEN_ANDX
SMB_COM_CREATE
SMB_COM_CREATE_NEW
SMB_COM_CREATE_TEMPORARY
SMB_COM_NT_CREATE_ANDX

SMB_COM_RENAME
SMB_COM_NT_RENAME
SMB_COM_QUERY_INFORMATION
SMB_COM_SET_INFORMATION

SMB_COM_OPEN_PRINT_FILE
SMB_COM_IOCTL

SMB_COM_CHECK_DIRECTORY
SMB_COM_SEARCH

Category B: Commands that don't enforce latest security token resulting from re-authentication

SMB_COM_LOCKING_ANDX
SMB_COM_READ_ANDX
SMB_COM_WRITE_ANDX

SMB_COM_NEGOTIATE
SMB_COM_SESSION_SETUP_ANDX
SMB_COM_TREE_CONNECT
SMB_COM_TREE_CONNECT_ANDX
SMB_COM_TREE_DISCONNECT

SMB_COM_CLOSE

SMB_COM_FLUSH
SMB_COM_QUERY_INFORMATION2

In addition to this, FSA document described the STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED error seen from your test results
3.1.5.13   Server Requests a Query of Security Information
§ The operation MUST be failed with STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED under either of the following conditions:
§ SecurityInformation contains any of OWNER_SECURITY_INFORMATION, GROUP_SECURITY_INFORMATION, LABEL_SECURITY_INFORMATION, or DACL_SECURITY_INFORMATION, and Open.GrantedAccess does not contain READ_CONTROL.

Also in SMB1, if CAP_EXTENDED_SECURITY is NOT set and we perform a re-authentication, UID/session will change. This change itself may cause an operation to fail simply because an FID would be invalid for the new session.

Regards,
Sreekanth Nadendla
Microsoft Windows Open Specifications