[cifs-protocol] [REG:111083100373286] FRS clarification about VVJOIN in FRS

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 13 09:57:02 MDT 2011

Hi Matthieu:
We have finished our investigation on your question on MS-FRS1.

The following statement in section 3.3.4.4.3 is not correct

                "COMM_LAST_JOIN_TIME MUST be 1."
A doc bug is filed and a change will be made in future release. As such, COMM_LAST_JOIN_TIME will not always be 1. It is 1 only when a new connection is being made or a data base recovery is being performed. For all other scenarios, it is set to the last join time taken from the corresponding connection object.

Your question "what "unknown change orders to the downstream partner based on the downstream partner version vector." means?" can be best answered by describing the difference between VVJoin and "simple" join. In case of a VVJoin, whole IDTable is scanned for the changes that the downstream does not know about. In case of "simple" join, only Outbound Log object is scanned for changes that the downstream does not know about.

Please let me know if it answers your question.

Regards,
Obaid Farooqi
Escalation Engineer | Microsoft

Exceeding your expectations is my highest priority.  If you would like to provide feedback on your case you may contact my manager at allisong at microsoft.com