[cifs-protocol] [REG: 111101256623456] SMB2: ioctl max size

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 21 15:21:41 MDT 2011

Metze,

Upon investigation, it appears that there are some size limits applied on SMB2 IOCTL commands in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
The behavior is version-specific. A future release of MS-SMB2 will be updated to reflect the following logic. The change will affect Section “3.3.5.15   Receiving an SMB2 IOCTL Request”.
The server SHOULD fail the request with STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER if InputCount or MaxInputResponse or MaxOutputResponse do not meet the following conditions:
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SMB2 servers fail an IOCTL with STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER if InputCount or MaxInputResponse or MaxOutputResponse is greater than an implementation-specific value. When the connection is on direct TCP transport, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SMB2 Servers set this value to 1024*1024 and on NetBIOS over TCP transport, the value is 64*1024.
Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 SMB2 servers fail an IOCTL request with STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER if [ max(InputCount, MaxInputResponse) + max(OutputCount, MaxOutputResponse) ] is greater than 256*1024.

Regards,
Edgar