[cifs-protocol] [REG: 111111580301298 ] DNS partition creation

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Nov 22 15:17:19 MST 2011

Hello Tarun,
On 22/11/2011 22:42, Tarun Chopra wrote:
> Hi Matthieu - On windows box, I can also see ADDEntry request from 2nd domain controller to 1st domain controller during DCPROMO. By below statement, is it that you are seeing this packet during DCPROMO or after DCPROMO completes and machine restarts ?
You'll see the DsAddEntry during DC promo to create some objects needed
for the replication, but my point is for after DCPROMO and not for
object related to the to be promoted DC but for the container for DNS

> 3)      Scenario when windows DC w/o DNS is trying to create these partitions. Is it during domain join or replication or something else ?
>
> So after the DC promo, I see DsAddEntry packet from the second DC to the first one.

So is it "normal" that a 2nd DC tries to create the DNS containers after
joining a domain where DNS zones are not stored in the AD ?

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team