[cifs-protocol] How to get started on writing a protocol for a printer server?

Ole Thomassen newsgrouprequests at gmail.com
Tue May 17 05:57:10 MDT 2011

Hi,

I am quite confused on how to use a printer server from an embedded Linux
device.
Using Wireshark, I can see, that printer servers in common tends to repeatly
broadcast messages containing NetBios / CIFS information which by Wireshark
is read as “Microsoft Windows Browser Protocol”. In this section there is a
value stating the server type – print server etc.

Now my first challenge is to grap the information form the broadcast
message, in principle only that it is a print server, and its IP address.
One of the issues is, that these protocols (SMB / CIFS) are not described in
e.g. RFC – where to read on how to dissect the Ethernet diagram?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
OD