[cifs-protocol] [REG:111052652308584] [ttalpey at microsoft.com: Reminder -- share secdesc and smb2 echo?]

Sun Jun 12 03:16:50 MDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 03:57:19PM +0000, Obaid Farooqi wrote:
> Your observation is correct, and it is the case that the
> CIFS, SMB or SMB2 server MUST first verify that the
> Share.FileSecurity allows the client-supplied
> DesiredAccess. If any of the nonzero bits of DesiredAccess
> are not permitted for the user by the Share.FileSecurity,
> the server MUST fail the request with
> STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

Thanks. This is for the ntcreate call, right?

> Please let me know if it answers your question. If it
> does, I'll consider this issue resolved.

It does not fully answer it, sorry. Attached find a network
trace against the server where user "vlendec" (the one I'm
connecting as) does not have the "full access" right as in
the last traces. However, in frames 38/39 it seems that I
was able to create a new file, giving it a custom security
descriptor. I would have thought that when setting secdescs
is forbidden then creating a new file would not allow me to
set custom file descriptors using the nttrans create call.
This way it is possible for a user to circumvent the
non-ability to set secdescs by just making a copy into a new
file.

BTW, the trace is from re-syncing an offline folder after
the server came back.

Can you explain that or show where this exception is
documented? And, will this end up in the documentation
somewhere?

Thanks,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9