[cifs-protocol] [REG:111051779565831] RE: dfs referral for sysvol and windows XP

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Wed Jun 8 01:22:16 MDT 2011

On 08/06/2011 02:01, Hongwei Sun wrote:
> Matthieu,
>
>    I confirmed that there is a problem with the Netmon parser when displaying ReferralEntryFlag.  The ReferralEntryFlags should be in little endian.  In the packet, it should be parsed as 0x0004 that has TargetSetBoundary bit set for the first entry.  So this is not the problem.   I will file a Netmon parser bug for that.
Ok good !

>    After looking further at the traces (XP to Samba and XP to Windows server 2008R2), I think that the DFS referral v4 returned by Samba doesn't seem to have any problem.  The only differences between two responses are if the DFSPath and DFSAlternativePath are shared between ReferralEntries.      This should not be the problem if  the correct offsets are used.   The details are shown as below:
>
>    Response from Samba:
>
>       DfsPath: Index:1 \w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>       DfsAlternatePath: Index:1 \w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>       TargetPath: Index:1 \s2-w2k8r2.w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>       DfsPath: Index:2 \w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>       DfsAlternatePath: Index:2 \w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>       TargetPath: Index:2 \ares.w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>
> Response from Windows:
>
>       DfsPath: \w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>       DfsAlternatePath: \w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>       TargetPath: Index:1 \s2-w2k8r2.w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>       TargetPath: Index:2 \ares.w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
Yeah I noticed this before, it's a limitation in our IDL compiler at the
moment and it's uneasy to fix, but as far as I understand it's should be
so much of a problem as the structure of the packet is correct (offset
are correctly pointing to paths).

>     It seems  that  XP client did  process  the DFS Referral Response v4 from Samba server correctly.   The following is the analysis of the events.
>
>       Packet  339	XP  	ARES  	DFSC	DFSC:Get DFS Referral Request, FileName: \w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol, MaxReferralLevel: 4
>       Packet   340	ARES  	XP  	DFSC	DFSC:Get DFS Referral Response, NumberOfReferrals: 2 VersionNumber: 4
>
> 	                Two  TargetPaths returned :  \s2-w2k8r2.w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol,   \ares.w2k8r2.home.matws.net\sysvol
>
>      Packet  345	XP  	ARES  	DNS	DNS:QueryId = 0xB8C8, QUERY (Standard query), Query  for s2-w2k8r2.w2k8r2.home.matws.net
>      Packet  346	ARES  	XP  	DNS	DNS:QueryId = 0xB8C8, QUERY (Standard query), Response - Success, 172.16.100.27
>       Packet 442	ARES  	XP  	ICMP	ICMP:Destination Unreachable Message, Host Unreachable, 172.16.100.27
>
>                             The client goes to the first target (s2-w2k8r2.w2k8r2.home.matws.net), but it is not reachable.   Why was  s2-w2k8r2.w2k8r2.home.matws.net not accessible ?  Was this intended because you were testing the DFS target failover ?
Well I tried to check that XP is a happy with samba4 as well as I expect
him to be ok with Windows 2008R2.
>     Packet 634	XP  	ARES  	ICMP	ICMP:Echo Request Message, From 172.16.101.16 To 172.16.101.1
>     Packet 657	XP  	ARES  	KerberosV5	KerberosV5:TGS Request Realm: W2K8R2.HOME.MATWS.NET Sname: cifs/ares.w2k8r2.home.matws.net
>     Packet 659	ARES  	XP  	KerberosV5	KerberosV5:TGS Response Cname: Administrator
>     Packet 668	XP  	ARES  	SMB	SMB:C; Tree Connect Andx, Path = \\ARES.W2K8R2.HOME.MATWS.NET\SYSVOL, Service = ?????
>
>                           The client fails over to the second target (ares.w2k8r2.home.matws.net) and use the Kerberos to do session setup.
>
>      It seems to me that when it fell back to NTLM, it was trying to access IPC$ for srvsrc service, not to access SYSVOL or NETLOGON. I don't see this in the trace between Windows.   I am not sure if it is related to the DFS Referral Response v4.
The thing is that XP is very slow with DFS referral response v4, and not
only the first call (as you might expect with the first call as it is
testing first the s2-w2k8r2 server). With a DFS referral response v3
it's very quick and responsive.

Also I noticed that most of the time XP comes to Windows server with
level 3 request and not a level 4, is there anything in Windows server
that trigger this behavior ?.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou