[cifs-protocol] FW: [REG:111061756137964] Encryption of the key for "netsh branchcache importkey and exportkey.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Wed Jul 6 14:29:03 MDT 2011

One more note.

The extracted Server Secret is 32 bytes in length and is a binary string
(clearly neither Unicode nor OEM Charset).

My guess, at this point, is that the extracted value (which validates
correctly) is the Server Secret itself, and *not* the "arbitrary length
binary string stored on the server" that is used to generate the Server Secret.

In other words, the extracted value is yet another SHA256 hash.

I have not yet tested this theory, and the documentation I have found so far
is not clear on the subject.  Working on it...

>From [MS-PCCRC, 1.1]:

  server secret: A SHA-256 hash of an arbitrary length binary string stored
                 on the server.

>From the BranchCache help:

  Usage: exportkey [outputfile=]<File Path> [passphrase]=<Pass Phrase>

  Parameters:

      Tag          Value
      outputfile   - The directory path and name of the file to which the
                     key should be exported
      passphrase   - A passphrase required in order to import the key

  Remarks: This command will export the key which the BranchCache service
           uses to protect content information. The key can then be
           imported on another machine by using the importkey command.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org