[cifs-protocol] [MS-NRPC] Problem encrypting data when use AES based Netlogon SChannel

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 06:45:25 MDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Moh Yen Liew <mohyen.liew at wesoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike:
>   According to MS-NRPC pg 111, bit 17 (indicated as  bit R) of  negotiable flag is actually referring to  "supports the NetrServerPasswordSet2 functionality".

Page numbers are probably not going to line up well and I think you're
counting bits from the opposite direction but in my (arguably very
old) copy of [MS-NRPC] shows bit 17 (indicated as bit 'O') of
NegotiateFlags in NetrServerAuthenticate3 described as:

  "Supports strong keys. Added in Windows 2000 Server and supported in
Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows Server
2008."

I have no idea what this bit really does but WireShark describes it as
"AES & SHA2 supported: Not set" and it's off in your capture.

Mike