[cifs-protocol] [REG:110122106325012] [MS-DNSP] Documentation for DNS_TYPE_ZERO (was "strange records in DNS LDAP NCs")

Bryan Burgin bburgin at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 4 15:27:48 MST 2011

Thx.  I had follow-up observations:

[MS-DNSP] 2.2.2.2.5 "DNS_RPC_RECORD" Buffer has Value: DNS_TYPE_ZERO 0x0000 with the meaning DNS_RPC_RECORD_TS.

2.2.2.2.4.23 "DNS_RPC_RECORD_TS" specifies "information for a node that has been tombstoned.  EntombedTime (8 bytes):  The unsigned integer value for the time-stamp at which this node was tombstoned.", which is a "time stamp: An integer value representing the number of hours that have elapsed since midnight (00:00:00), January 1, 1601 UTC".

That does not seem to match the value you supplied as a sample "40 47 30 F4 9F A0 CB 01" by a longshot.  However, I also see this note in MS-DNSP's Glossary: "tombstone: An inactive DNS node which is not considered to be part of a DNS zone but has not yet been deleted from the zone database in the directory server. Tombstones may be permanently deleted from the zone once they reach a certain age. Tombstones are not used for DNS zones that are not stored in the directory server. A node is a tombstone if its dnsTombstoned attribute has been set to "TRUE"."  I'm hypothesizing that perhaps dnsTombstoned is FALSE in this case and that the space that would contain EntombedTime is garbage in the example you provided.  Is this possible?

B.