[cifs-protocol] show-recycled and show-deleted LDAP controls

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 15 22:17:34 MST 2011

Matthieu,

In the network trace, both LDAP Search requests in packet 20 (LDAP_SERVER_SHOW_RECYCLED_OID ) and 42 (LDAP_SERVER_SHOW_RECYCLED_OID ) have Filter: (isDeleted=TRUE). Because of this filter, all search result entries (packets 21 and 43) have isDeleted=TRUE, but not all of them have isRecycled present.

The show-recycled or show-deleted LDAP controls define the objects that are visible to the operation. Then the filter is applied to those objects to get the search results.
In order to retrieve only recycled objects, I presume you need:
  + Filter: (isRecycled=TRUE)
  + ControlType: 1.2.840.113556.1.4.2064 (LDAP_SERVER_SHOW_RECYCLED_OID)

Per MS-ADTS Section 3.1.1.1.6, when the Recycle Bin optional feature is enabled, object deletion is performed in three stages.
Stage 1. Active object transformed into a deleted object.
Stage 2. Deleted object transformed into a recycled object (after deleted-object lifetime).
Stage 3. Recycled object is garbage collected (after tombstone lifetime).

Generally, when an object has isRecycled = TRUE, it has gone through isDeleted = TRUE.

3.1.1.1.6   Attribute Syntaxes, Object References, Referential Integrity, and Well-Known Objects
3.1.1.3.4.1.14 LDAP_SERVER_SHOW_DELETED_OID
3.1.1.3.4.1.26 LDAP_SERVER_SHOW_RECYCLED_OID

Let me know whether this helps.

Regards,
Edgar