[cifs-protocol] Download performance on CIFS

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at barcelonamedia.org
Fri Dec 2 02:33:48 MST 2011

Hello all, this is my first post on this list. I am having some trouble
with CIFS on Linux machines.

This is my /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData file:

2) Name: 192.168.1.10  Domain: mydomain Uses: 1 OS: Windows Server (R)
2008 Enterprise 6002 Service Pack 2
	NOS: Windows Server (R) 2008 Enterprise 6.0	Capability: 0x1e3fd
	SMB session status: 1	TCP status: 1
	Local Users To Server: 1 SecMode: 0x3 Req On Wire: 0
	Shares:
	1) \\server\home$ Mounts: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x20 Attributes:
0x2700ff
PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 0x1 type: DISK

	MIDs:

I am on a 100mbps LAN, if I upload a big file (2GB) to the server it
goes to 10.X MB/sec. The problem is when I download the file, it goes to
3.x MB/sec.

On Windows 7 (same machine), the upload and download speed are the same,
11 MB/sec. I read taht lots of people with same problem, but there is no
solution (I didn't find it).

I try to change some paramters on cifs module, but same result:

parm:           CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including
header). Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range:
1 to 64 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default:
30 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server.
Default: 50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           echo_retries:Number of echo attempts before giving up
and reconnecting server. Default: 5. 0 means never reconnect. (ushort)

I am using Ubuntu Oneiric and Natty machines with 3.0.0 and 2.6.38
kernels.

Is there any solution for this?

Thanks and best regards.

--