[cifs-protocol] FRS clarification about VVJOIN in FRS

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Aug 30 17:09:26 MDT 2011

Hello Dochelp,

I have some problems to understand something in the join process related
to VVJOIN.

In paragraph "3.3.4.4.4 COMM_COMMAND Is CMD_JOINING" we have at the end

After the CMD_JOINED packet is sent:
* If a connection VVJoin needs to be performed, FRS MUST go through the
process specified in the
following section.
* If a connection VVJoin does not need to be performed, the upstream
partner MUST send
unknown change orders to the downstream partner based on the downstream
partner version
vector.

And in paragraph "3.3.4.4.4.1 Connection VVJoin"
FRS MUST perform Connection VVJoin when either of the following
conditions is true:
* P_IN.COMM_LAST_JOIN_TIME is 1.
* Last connection session establishment (Join) time of the outbound
connection is 1.
During VVJoin, the upstream partner MUST send out a CMD_REMOTE_CO packet
for each file

Due to the way FRS1 is redacted I understand that the upstream partner
when receiving a packet with a CMD_JOINING (P_IN) it must check what is
described at 3.3.4.4.4.1in order to determine if should do a "simple"
join or a VVJoin. Among the condition to determine if the join should be
VVJoin I have the impression that the condition
"P_IN.COMM_LAST_JOIN_TIME is 1." is always true, as if I understand
correctly P_IN referrer to the packet with the CMD_JOINING command and
in paragraph  "3.3.4.4.3 COMM_COMMAND Is CMD_START_JOIN", which describe
how the next packet that is to say a packet with CMD_JOINING, it is said
that COMM_LAST_JOIN_TIME must be set to 1. Can you confirm ?

Also I'd like to understand more what "unknown change orders to the
downstream partner based on the downstream partner version
vector." means, and if possible I'd like to have an example.

Thanks.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou