[cifs-protocol] [REG:111080856926389] Nameconflict with "ss" vs. "ß"

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 29 16:36:09 MDT 2011

Hi Metze:
As per MS-ADTS, section “3.1.1.2.2.4.13 UnicodeString Comparison Rule” it is stated that Unicode code comparison is performed according to algorithm described in section “7.5 Unicode String Comparison”. The algorithm described in section 7.5.1 uses “sort keys”. A sort key consists of several weighted components that represent a character's script, diacritics, case, and additional treatment based on locale.

A complete list of sorting weights is documented in MSASRT (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=123584).

According to MSASRT, ß is expanded to “ss” for generating sort keys. For details please consult MS-UCODEREF (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc248954(PROT.10).aspx).

MS-DRSR is marked historic only in MCPP. In WSPP, MS-DRSR is a living document and is available for your reference.

Please let me know if it answers your question.

Regards,
Obaid Farooqi
Escalation Engineer | Microsoft

Exceeding your expectations is my highest priority.  If you would like to provide feedback on your case you may contact my manager at allisong at microsoft.com