[cifs-protocol] Level 257 FindFirst rejected by some Windows servers even though NTLM

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 12:39:15 MDT 2011

Loosely related question - how do the normal windows desktops clients
determine how to fall back (or move up to newer) infolevels for
FindFirst.   We would normally use SMB_FIND_FILE_ID_FULL_DIR_INFO
(level 0x105 FindFirst) but we end up calling FindFirst level 0x101
(which does not request "uniqueids") since QueryPathInfo level 0x3EE
(QueryFileInternalInfo) gets NT Status: STATUS_INVALID_LEVEL
(0xc0000148) fails.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Edgar Olougouna <edgaro at microsoft.com> wrote:
> [Dochelp to bcc]
>
> Steve,
>
> One of our engineers will follow-up soon on this inquiry. The case number is 111081664438980.
>
> Regards,
> Edgar

Steve