[cifs-protocol] Behavior explanation on subtree delete control behavior with iscriticalsystemobject

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Aug 9 15:08:01 MDT 2011

Hello,

I found an interesting problem

In MS-ADTS it is said:

3.1.1.5.5.7.2 Tree-delete Constraints
All regular delete operation constraints apply on each object being
deleted.
The tree-delete operation may not be applied to an NC root.
Objects with isCriticalSystemObject attribute equal to true may not be
deleted by the tree-delete
operation (this also applies to objects in the subtree being deleted).
This constraint is checked
object-by-object, and deletion stops if some deletion would violate this
constraint. Because, as
explained in the next section, deleted objects never have children, the
result after deletion stops
due to this constraint is a tree. The resultant tree may not be the same
as the original tree
because some objects may have been deleted prior to the failure.

My understanding is that if you try to deleted an object that has the
isCriticalSystemObject attribute set to TRUE or one of the object bellow
in its tree then the operation should failed.

Did I get the meaning right ?

If so can you explain me how with this configuration:

./bin/ldbsearch -H ldap://172.16.100.27 -U administrator%totoTATA321 -b
"CN=ARES,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=w2k8r2,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net"
isCriticalSystemObject
# record 1
dn: CN=ARES,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=w2k8r2,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
isCriticalSystemObject: TRUE

# record 2
dn: CN=RID Set,CN=ARES,OU=Domain
Controllers,DC=w2k8r2,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net

The delete with subtree control on the following trace at packet 1848 is
working.

Thanks.

Matthieu.

--