[cifs-protocol] smbfs mounts in fstab causing ethernet interface lockups

Edsall, William (WJ) WJEdsall at dow.com
Fri Oct 29 09:31:09 MDT 2010

Hello samba list,
 I'm experiencing a strange issue with smbfs mounts. Please help me
troubleshoot this as it is locking up some of our servers.

I have the following mount in fstab:
//servername/remote_folder  /local_folder  cifs   username=<user
here>,password=<pass here>uid=12427,gid=4400  0       0

The purpose is to mount a remote directory for a custom application.
Smbfs mounts were chosen for a specific reason over NFS mountss.

What's happening is, every so often due to unknown circumstances, this
mount will become unavailable and will entirely lock-up the ethernet
interface using it. For our clusters it's the public interface -- the
private will still be available.

After a lazy unmount of the smbfs mount, the interface is immediately
available.

How can I make this mount more friendly so that these lock ups can be
prevented?

I'm not sure if this dmesg is from the forementioned problem, but I'll
provide it just in case:
 CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 115 mid 15
 CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -11
 CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 115 mid 17
 CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -11

Thanks ahead of time for your assistance!

William J. Edsall