[cifs-protocol] [REG:110052070326491] MS_RRP: Question on Symbolic Links

Andreas Schneider mail at cynapses.org
Tue May 25 08:45:17 MDT 2010

On Monday 24 May 2010 23:58:34 Hongwei Sun wrote:
> Andreas,
>
>    When you open the key with REG_OPTION_LINK flag set, the server will
> return the handle to the source key.  With a valid handle, client should
> be able to update the target of the symbolic link by changing the value of
> SymbolicLinkValue and also delete the key that is referenced by the
> handle.   As explicitly pointed out in 3.1.1.11, the SymbolicLinkValue for
> target link should contain Fully Qualified Name(3.1.1.1.1), which is
> something like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.   It is not in
> the kernel mode string such as \registry\machine\system\MountedDevice.

I've done some testing with FQN as link value against Windows 2008 here.

If I set the 'SymbolicLinkValue' to

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Samba\torture_test\symlink_destination

and then do a normal OpenKey (follow the symlink) it fails with WERR_BADFILE.

If I set the 'SymbolicLinkValue' to

 '\Registry\MACHINE\Software\Samba\torture_test\symlink_destination'

I can follow the symlink. I think the documentation is wrong here. At least
for Windows 2008. I haven't tested it against other Windows versions yet.

Best regards,

	-- andreas