[cifs-protocol] [REG:110052070326491] MS_RRP: Question on Symbolic Links

Andreas Schneider mail at cynapses.org
Tue May 25 02:46:15 MDT 2010

On Monday 24 May 2010 23:58:34 Hongwei Sun wrote:
> Andreas,

Hello Hongwei,

>    When you open the key with REG_OPTION_LINK flag set, the server will
> return the handle to the source key.  With a valid handle, client should
> be able to update the target of the symbolic link by changing the value of
> SymbolicLinkValue and also delete the key that is referenced by the
> handle.   As explicitly pointed out in 3.1.1.11, the SymbolicLinkValue for
> target link should contain Fully Qualified Name(3.1.1.1.1), which is
> something like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.   It is not in
> the kernel mode string such as \registry\machine\system\MountedDevice.
>
>    How do you delete the value "SymbolocLinkVallue" ?  using
> BaseRegDeleteValue as per 3.1.5.9 MS-RRP?  What do you mean by "it didn't
> work" ?    Do you mean that the value is not deleted or any error is
> returned ?

I'm able to delete the value but not the key. I'm running this test against
Windows 2008. Here is some pseudo code.

/* create link */

CreateKey("SOFTWARE\torture_test\target")
CloseKey("SOFTWARE\torture_test\target")

CreateKey("SOFTWARE\torture_test\link", REG_OPTION_CREATE_LINK |
REG_OPTION_VOLATILE)
SetValue("SymbolicLinkValue", "SOFTWARE\torture_test\target")
CloseKey("SOFTWARE\torture_test\link")

/* delete link */
OpenKey("SOFTWARE\torture_test\link", REG_OPTION_OPEN_LINK |
REG_OPTION_VOLATILE)
DeleteValue("SymbolicLinkValue")
CloseKey("SOFTWARE\torture_test\link")
DeleteKey("SOFTWARE\torture_test\link") --> fails with WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

Regards,

	-- andreas