[cifs-protocol] [REG:110062452298172] Text-file Schema for all of 2000-2008R2

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 30 06:16:55 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 11:57 +0000, Bill Wesse wrote:
> Hi Andrew. I am advised that a planning meeting including the topic of
> where we intend to post the schema text files is scheduled for next
> Tuesday (July 6). I will advise you on the results as soon as I can
> after that (it is occurring very late in the day, my time).

OK.  Please just post them in a reply to cifs-protocol in the meantime.

> Meanwhile, I am currently waiting for confirmation on the latest file
> dates for the schema files we have provided. I expect to have that
> info within the next day or so.

OK.  Can you give me some indication as to your level of confidence that
the latest files match what is actually found in the respective AD
versions?  I just want to set my expectations correctly before I start
trying to have Samba load them.

> Also, there are some limits on our support level for the schema text
> files – I will also advise you on that (query in progress…).

I'm sorry to hear about the limitations on the support for the schema
files.  We only ask for them because we found the PDF documents to be
both inaccurate and unusable for the purpose for which they purport to
be provided (the creation of interoperable implementations).

We do appreciate the extra effort that has gone into providing them, and
getting them under an acceptable licence, but it is only by the
provision of text-format schema that we have been able to show how
deficient the documentation has been in the first place.

I still don't understand how so many errors crept into a document that
should be no more than a reformat of a direct extract from the version
control system for the relevant AD versions.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.