[cifs-protocol] [REG:210052568854074001] - RE: NTCreateAndX with DesiredAccess of 0

Sebastian Canevari Sebastian.Canevari at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 10 13:03:44 MDT 2010

Hi James,

Sorry for the delay in the response but in the course of our analysis we've discovered a couple extra details that needed attention and discussion before us being able to formulate a final answer.

There will be changes in the docs to better explain this behavior. I will let you know when those changes are ready and what exact docs and sections they will be available at.

As an advance to the final response, I would like to share with you that our code shows that we do the following operation with the DesiredAccess value at the SMB level:

DesiredAccess |= FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES;

So, when the file system receives the request, the DesiredAccess will never be 0 and in that way we can query the file info after the open.

In case the DesiredAccess is greater than what it is allowed on that object, the return status from the underlying object store will be Status_Access_Denied.

I hope this provides you with a response to your question. However, as this is not 100% confirmed yet, I would advise you to rely only on my final response which I will share with you as soon as I have it in my hands.

Thanks and regards,

Sebastian

Sebastian Canevari
Senior Support Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
7100 N Hwy 161, Irving, TX - 75039
"Las Colinas - LC2"
Tel: +1 469 775 7849