[cifs-protocol] [REG:110071868986368] unused bytes after while decoding bkrp requests

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sun Jul 25 14:55:21 MDT 2010

  Hi Bryan

Any news on this subject ?

In the mean time I worked on the implementation of the protocol for the
samba project and have more questions now.

So page 31 of MS-BKRP.pdf state that the message format for exchange is :

NET_API_STATUS BackuprKey(
[in] handle_t h,
[in] GUID* pguidActionAgent,
[in, size_is(cbDataIn)] byte* pDataIn,
[in] DWORD cbDataIn,
[out, size_is(,*pcbDataOut)] byte** ppDataOut,
[out] DWORD* pcbDataOut,
[in] DWORD dwParam
);
I already asked if there is not some bytes after the dwParam.

After analyzing the out message I have the impression that before the
ppDataOut there is some kind of integer.
Here is the hex dump of an output message:

00000000  00 00 02 00 44 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 8d 65 cd e4
|....D........e..|
00000010  6c 93 62 22 48 e7 04 ff  0c 8f 0e 83 7a e4 dd d4
|l.b"H.......z...|
00000020  4b d1 8e 74 95 67 4f 85  be a5 9c b7 7f fd 39 2c
|K..t.gO.......9,|
00000030  54 bc a7 60 e4 e0 13 26  49 6f ca 35 ee bb 23 24
|T..`...&Io.5..#$|
00000040  51 d4 4e c9 37 1d f0 9e  83 69 bd 10 44 00 00 00
|Q.N.7....i..D...|
00000050  00 00 00 00                                       |....|
00000054

so from byte 4 (0x44 ) we have clearly (at least to me) the ppDataOut
variable that is NDR encoded (meaning that the size is specified before
on the wire) up to byte 4B then we have the size (pcbDataOut) (0x44 0x00
0x00 0x00) and then the return code.

I attach the out message extracted from the trace I sent last time.
With the following samba idl:

         [public,nopush,nopull,noprint] WERROR bkrp_BackupKey (
                 [in,ref]  GUID *guidActionAgent,
                 [in,ref]  [subcontext(4)] uint8 *data_in,
                 [in]  uint32 data_in_len,
                 [in]  uint32 param,
                 [out] uint32 misc,
                 [out] DATA_BLOB secret,
                 [out] uint32 data_out_len
         );

We have the following result while using our ndrdump tool:

pull returned NT_STATUS_OK
     bkrp_BackupKey: struct bkrp_BackupKey
         out: struct bkrp_BackupKey
             misc                     : 0x00020000 (131072)
             secret                   : DATA_BLOB length=68
             data_out_len             : 0x00000044 (68)
             result                   : WERR_OK
dump OK

As I have also managed to get a correct
BACKUPKEY_RETRIEVE_BACKUP_KEY_GUID exchange I also witnessed  that on
the out message there is also "something" (that I named misc in our idl)
(see the get_key_out file which is the extraction of out message on a
BACKUPKEY_RETRIEVE_BACKUP_KEY_GUID request). As the certificate that I
extracted seems to be correct I pretty encline to think I am right as
first we are able to parse the NDR encoded data, and that the result
seems sensible.
Can you see if my analysis is correct and if so can you give us the
explanation of this "misc" parameter. If not, well please tell me the
correct way to parse the message.

Also I've got questions of what is explained in the document.

First  in paragraph 3.1.4.1.3, it is stated

"The server MUST ignore the cbDataIn and pDataIn parameters. It MUST
return the RSA public key
from the ClientWrap key pair, in the format specified in section 2.2.1.
If no such key can be found or
created, the server MUST return an error."

The client is supposed to send a 2.2.2 Client-Side-Wrapped Secret struct
in the pDataIn variable, this struct contains also a version field and a
guid field.
Nothing is said about this fields, how should they be populated, can you
explain this ?

Second in paragraph 1.3.1 Call Flows, it is stated
"For the ClientWrap subprotocol, the Microsoft implementation of the
BackupKey Remote Protocol
server stores the following LSA global secret objects (note that the LSA
global secret names are
Unicode strings):
1. G$BCKUPKEY_PREFERRED: This contains the 16-byte GUID ([MS-DTYP]
section 2.3.2.2) of the
RSA key pair currently used for client-side secret wrapping.
2. G$BCKUPKEY_guid: Here, guid is the string GUID that identifies the
wrapping key, formatted as a
GUIDString ([MS-DTYP] section 2.3.2.3). The value of the secret object
is the server's ClientWrap
key pair, formatted as specified in section 2.2.5"

Should I conclude that in a given domain there is only "active" rsa key
on all the server or said in another way no matter which server is asked
at a given moment we will always receive the same GUID for the key ?

Also just to be sure this will be stored in the currentValue attribute
but it will be only accessible through a lsaQuerySecret call right ?

Regards.
Matthieu .

--
Matthieu Patou