[cifs-protocol] Bug in MS-WINSRA section "2.2.10.1 Name Record"

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 11 16:10:55 MST 2010

Hi Stefan,

We completed our investigation on the Padding issue regarding the name record in MS-WINSRA. The product team confirmed the observed behavior.

As a result, the definition of the Padding field will be updated to reflect the following. The change will appear in a future release of the document.

MS-WINSRA section "2.2.10.1 Name Record".

Current definition:

Padding (variable): If the Name field is not 4-byte aligned, this Padding field will be added to pad to 4-byte alignment. If the Name field itself is 4-byte aligned, then there is no Padding field. This field MUST be ignored upon receipt.

Update similar to:

Padding (variable):  If the Name field is not 4-byte aligned, the Padding field is padded to 4-byte alignment. If the Name field itself is 4-byte aligned, then the Padding field is padded with 4 bytes. This field MUST be ignored upon receipt.

Best regards,

Edgar