[cifs-protocol] [REG: 110121779812865] Requesting clarification of CIFS client timeout behavior

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 17 15:39:43 MST 2010

Chris,

This initialization is a protocol behavior which applies to all Windows versions from Windows 2000 and onward. The Client.SessionTimeoutValue default value is defined in the MS-SMB protocol's main body per the guidelines suggested by the Technical Committee.

I have created a new case 110121779812865 and filed a technical document issue on MS-CIFS and passed on your comments to the product group (PG). The PG will assess whether the [MS-CIFS] Client.SessionTimeoutValue default value definition could be in the protocol main body or should remain in the windows behavior note.
As noted above, this could move to the main body if all Windows-based CIFS SKUs have 45 seconds default value for the Client.SessionTimeoutValue.

Please let me know whether you have further questions on this topic, otherwise I will consider this issue as resolved.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Edgar