[cifs-protocol] [REG: 110120160951867] Requesting clarification of CIFS client timeout behavior

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Thu Dec 9 16:39:23 MST 2010

Jeff Layton wrote:
:
> Sounds like a reasonable correction. I will note however that I didn't
> actually test Win98 or NT. It's rather difficult to find working media
> for them nowadays since they're not available on MSDN (hint, hint).
>
> This capture was done with a win2k8 client. I'll have to take your word
> for it that they behave in the same way.

It is easy, in the docs, to document actual protocol changes between NT and
W2K+ systems.  Changes to the protocol can and should be documented in [MS-SMB].

Unfortunately, it is not nearly as easy to document changes to non-protocol
Windows Behavior.  All WBNs really need a to be referenced from within the
specification.

You can't, for instance, talk about the change from 45 to 60 seconds between
W-NT4 and W2K in [MS-CIFS] because [MS-CIFS] specifically covers NT3.51 and
NT4 clients/servers, and W98 clients.  You also can't talk about it in
[MS-SMB] because there is no actual protocol change.

The best I could suggest is to add a line somewhere in section 3 of [MS-SMB]
that says:

Client.SessionTimeoutValue is as defined in [MS-CIFS], section ??? <WBN>.

<WBN>: In Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista,
       Windows 7, Windows 2008, and Windows 2008 R2 (have I missed
       any?), the default Client.SessionTimeoutValue is 60 seconds.

...and then reference both the KB article and the section of [MS-CIFS] that
provides the WBN that states that the timeout is 45 seconds.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org