[cifs-protocol] [REG: 110120160951867] Requesting clarification of CIFS client timeout behavior

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Wed Dec 8 05:01:17 MST 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 21:33:56 +0000
Edgar Olougouna <edgaro at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Could you provide some network captures so I can further investigate the behavior you described?
>
> Thanks,
> Edgar

Certainly...attached.

The capture is in libpcap format (hope that's OK). If not, then let me
know and I can convert it to another.

The setup is a win2k8 host talking to my crippled smbd that doesn't
respond to WriteAndX requests. Basically I just mapped the share to a
drive letter, and then used "copy" from the command line on the win2k8
host to try to copy a file to the share. I believe the win2k8 host is
fully patched (at least as of a week or two ago).

As you can see, the client consistently disconnects the share after
getting no response from the write, even though echoes do get a
response. Also note that on the first copy attempt, the share was
disconnected without the client sending any echoes.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>