[cifs-protocol] [REG: 110120160951867] Requesting clarification of CIFS client timeout behavior

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Tue Dec 7 14:10:44 MST 2010

Edgar Olougouna wrote:
:
> 3) If it waits indefinitely, does it send more than one echo request?   If so, how frequently are they sent?
>
> Answer:
> Echo requests are sent only when the connection has been idle for more than the session timeout. The default session timeout value is 45 seconds in Windows NT, and 60 seconds in Windows 2000 and onward. If there is no response on the connection for another session timeout, the client will tear down the connection.  If there is "any" response, it will not disconnect. The same repeats again.

Edgar,

Please note that KB article that I mentioned earlier.

- The 45 (or 60) second timeout is *only a starting point*.  Windows
  clients dynamically adjust that value depending on the size of the
  message and network conditions.  (See: KB102067)

- The list of outstanding commands is scanned every 30 seconds, so the
  timeout condition may not be detected until 30 seconds after the
  timeout has actually occurred.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org