[cifs-protocol] cifs client timeouts and hard/soft mounts

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Tue Dec 7 13:53:04 MST 2010

Matt Ficken (Insight Global) wrote:
> If the connection from the WAN Accelerator to the origin SMB server is down (ie the origin SMB server is down), shouldn't the WAN Accelerator realize that, and then not be responding to SMB echoes (at least responding as though it was the origin SMB server)?

In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice they're not.

In other words, "should do" and "does do" are two very different things.  :)

...but I agree with Volker and Jeremy and others.  It's not our[1] job to
fix these things unless the fix is generally beneficial to the implementation.

Chris -)-----
[1]Where "our" refers to SMB/CIFS implementers in general.

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org