[cifs-protocol] cifs client timeouts and hard/soft mounts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Dec 5 19:46:31 MST 2010

On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 09:12 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 09:28:11PM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > So, what does this mean for CIFS clients? I believe that the best
> > behavior for the client is to *never* time out an individual request,
> > aside from SMB echoes.
>
> I like this concept.

+1

If the server is up and running enough to respond with smb echo replies,
then it seems reasonable to assume it is still dealing with the other
requests, or if it wishes to abandon a pending request, it will respond
to it (eventually) with an error.

Volker,

Is it correct to say that this is how Samba3 deals with slow calls and
Windows clients, using the echo handling child?

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.