[cifs-protocol] Requesting clarification of MS-DNSP data structure DNS_RPC_NAME

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Tue Aug 10 08:27:54 MDT 2010

Hi all,

MS-DNSP describes a DNS_RPC_NAME data structure in section 2.2.2.2.1.
Notably, on page 33, the description of the cchNameLength field states:
"[...]The length of this structure will always be 4-byte aligned so
there may be 0-3 bytes of padding at the end of the structure."

Quering a Win2k8R2 server for DNS records via LDAP, it looks like the
DNS_RPC_NAME structure is 2-byte-aligned, most obvious when looking at
a DNS_RPC_RECORD_SRV record returned. I've attached the LDIF file I got
from the LDAP query.

Is this a mistake in the documentation?

Cheers,
Kai Blin