[cifs-protocol] [REG:110080418016869] version field and a GUID field no documented

Hongwei Sun hongweis at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 6 16:59:11 MDT 2010

--- Fixed the minimal editor mistake.

Matthieu,

  I am working on the following issue you reported.

	110080418016869
	[MS-BKRP]  3.1.4.1.3 -- version field and a GUID field no documented

	Also I've got questions of what is explained in the document.

	First  in paragraph 3.1.4.1.3, it is stated

	"The server MUST ignore the cbDataIn and pDataIn parameters. It MUST
	return the RSA public key
	from the ClientWrap key pair, in the format specified in section 2.2.1.
	If no such key can be found or
	created, the server MUST return an error."

	The client is supposed to send a 2.2.2 Client-Side-Wrapped Secret struct
	in the pDataIn variable, this struct contains also a version field and a
	guid field.
	Nothing is said about this fields, how should they be populated, can you
	explain this ?

    I think that there may be something mixed up here.  The paragraph 3.1.4.1.3 is for sending BACKUPKEY_RETRIEVE_BACKUP_KEY_GUID to request the public key part of the server's ClientWrap key pair.  Just as mentioned in your message, there should no input to pDataIn variable as well as cbDataIn, so I am not sure that the second paragraph is related to your question , unless you are talking about sending BACKUPKEY_RESTORE_GUID which requires clients to send  Client-Side-Wrapped Secret structure.

    If this is the case, version field should be populated as either 2 or 3 based on the EncryptedSecret and AccessCheck fields (2.2.2 MS-BKRP).  The guidKey should be populated using the unique GUID of the public key returned from  BACKUPKEY_RETRIEVE_BACKUP_KEY_GUID request.

   Please confirm.

Thanks!

Hongwei