[cifs-protocol] [REG: 210041353965669001 ]RE: MS-RPRN: Question on PRINTER_INFO_STRESS.cAddNetPrinters

Obaid Farooqi obaidf at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 23 15:15:32 MDT 2010

Hi Andreas:
We have finished our investigation on your question regarding cAddNetPrinters. A future version of MS-RPRN will include modification along the lines of the following:

Section "3.1.4.2.3 RpcAddPrinter" will have the following bullet added to it:

"Increment the number of network printers added to this server."

The description for Level member of the PRINTER_CONTAINER when its value is 0x00000001 will be consolidated and will be something like the following (with the addition of the above mentioned bullet):

If the value of the Level member of the PRINTER_CONTAINER is 0x00000001, and if the server does not maintain a "List of Known Printers", the server MUST return ERROR_PRINTER_ALREADY_EXISTS, as specified in [MS-ERREF]. Otherwise, the server MUST continue to process the message and compose a response to the client as follows:
	* If the PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_SHARED bit is set in the Flags member of the PRINTER_INFO_1 structure,
	add the printer<185> to the "List of Known Printers" as specified in section 3.1.1.

	* If PRINTER_ATTRIBUTE_SHARED bit is not set in the Flags member of the PRINTER_INFO_1 structure,
	remove the printer from the "List of Known Printers".

	* Store NULL in the output parameter pointed to by pHandle.

	* Increment the number of network printers added to this server.

	* Return ERROR_PRINTER_ALREADY_EXISTS, as specified in [MS-ERREF].

Note: An error return code is required by remote procedure call (RPC) because NULL was stored to the output parameter pointed to by pHandle.

Please let me know if it answers your question. If it does, I'll consider this issue resolved.

Thanks
Obaid Farooqi
Sr. Support Escalation Engineer | Microsoft