[cifs-protocol] [REG:110041557300829] RE: Questions regarding 7.1.3.1 ACE Ordering Rules

Hongwei Sun hongweis at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 16 15:09:27 MDT 2010

Nadya,

  Active Directory is supposed to apply the requirements to  any security descriptors maintained by a DC, as described in section 7.1.3.  ACE ordering is one of the requirement.  If forest functional level is DS_BEHAVIOR_WIN2003 and  fDontStandardizeSDs is false,  the ACEs in the ACLs will be sorted by DC using the ACE ordering rule in 7.1.3.1 MS-ADTS.    This enforcement should happen either when a new object is created or when LDAP modify on security descriptor is done.  If the ACE reordering cannot be done for some reasons, there will be no LDAP error returned and.  The order of explicit ACEs supplied by the client is preserved.

 You are running test against Windows 2008 and  by default fDontStandardizeSDs  should be zero.  So the ACE reordering should happen.  Could you send me (1)the LDAP command you used to create the group
(2)the SD you provided
(3)the dump of  SD finally set on group object ?
I will investigate to find the reason why reordering is not happening.

I am working on the clarification for the section of 7.1.3.1 based on two of your questions.  I will let you know.

Thanks!

Hongwei