[cifs-protocol] Please clarify LSA and OsVersion behaviour in MS-NRPC (SRX090727600015)

Bill Wesse billwe at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 28 07:22:46 MDT 2009

Good morning Andrew - yes, NetrLogonGetDomainInfo bypasses the servicePrincipalName constraints (as Hongwei noted). This applies to Windows 2003/2003 R2, and was fixed in Windows 2008 and beyond.

This is currently a bug against Windows 2003, but no hotfix has yet been produced. I will be glad to alert you to when this occurs.

Here is the response Hongwei provided Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:40 AM:

We confirmed that Windows server 2008 and later systems addressed the problem by implementing validation of the DNSHostName and SPN in NetrLogonGetDomainInfo to enforce the same constraints as specified in section 3.1.1.5.3.1.1.2(dNSHostName) and 3.1.1.5.3.1.1.4(servicePrincipalName) in MS-ADTS.

Regards,
Bill Wesse
MCSE, MCTS / Senior Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
8055 Microsoft Way
Charlotte, NC 28273
TEL:  +1(980) 776-8200
CELL: +1(704) 661-5438