[cifs-protocol] MS-NRPC: AES Schannel problems

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri Sep 11 02:33:47 MDT 2009

Hongwei,

>   We confirmed that AesCrypt follows the normative reference of [FIPS197] (http://www.csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips197/fips-197.pdf).   As far as the statement about AES128 encryption CFB mode,  we also confirmed that we do use 0 as Initialize Vector(IV), so in this case all you have to do is set the IV to the 128-bit quantity consisting of all zeros.   The reference we are using for CFB mode is [SP800-38A] ( http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-38a/sp800-38a.pdf ) which states that CFB mode requires a valid and unpredictable IV (Section 6.3). Zero is a valid IV, certainly not unpredictable. However, the unpredictability is required only to guard against specific types of attacks, which become possible when a single key is used to encrypt a large number of related plaintexts. Predictable IVs could be used in applications where this is not a concern.

thanks I'll try that.

AES128 is also used in section 3.3.4.2.1 "Generating an Initial Netlogon
Signature Token" under 8., is that the same AesCrypt function (also
using CFB mode) with a just IV being contructed by using the sequence
number twice?

>   We will update the document with the correct references to the related statements in the MS-NRPC document.

It would be really nice if you could also add some more example values
in secion 4.2 Cryptographic Values for Session Key Validation.

metze