[cifs-protocol] cifs/ SPN not accepted in certain scenarios

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 3 09:26:28 MDT 2009

Hi Zachary,

I have investigated this case and configured a similar environment as you described. In my testing environment the Windows XP client can successfully join the new Windows Server 2008 domain (new tree root domain in an existing forest) by using Kerberos authentication.

I suspect the Kerberos error KRB_ERROR  - KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN (7) that you experienced on the TGS request is due your environment. Since the Kerberos mechanism failed to obtain the ticket for the CIFS service, the fallback to NTLM mechanism is the correct processing with respect to SPNEGO as documented in [MS-SPNG] and [RFC4178].
In case this helps, I am providing this reference on Kerberos troubleshooting.
Troubleshooting Kerberos Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7DFEB015-6043-47DB-8238-DC7AF89C93F1&displaylang=en
The KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN error could be associated with these Windows internal errors:

STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT

STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
STATUS_KDC_UNABLE_TO_REFER

If you need more in-depth support in troubleshooting and debugging this issue, we can work with you to establish a Windows support case to pursue this in more depth.
As always, please let us know if you have any specific documentation issue and we will be happy to assist.

Best regards,
Edgar