[cifs-protocol] DRS option bits

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Oct 23 01:05:13 MDT 2009

Hi Hongwei,

 >       PE (DRS_PREEMPTED): Replication attempt is preempted by a higher priority replication request.

I'm getting errors about pre-emption in the logs sometimes, so I'd
like to understand this better. I don't see any mention of
'preemption' in the DRSR doc. Could you explain it please?

I suspect it is related to a DC doing two DRS replications in
parallel (as it seems to happen when I see a 2nd replication happen
while a first cycle is not complete).

Can you tell me if parallel replications with the same DsBind handle
are actually allowed? If they are, then it seems a bit ambiguous, as I
can't see how I would tell whether a particular request is a
continuation of an existing replication or a new one (assuming they
are on the same NC).

At the moment I've added code in our DRS server to refuse a 2nd
replication with the same DsBind handle if a previous cycle is not
complete. Is that what the Microsoft replication client expects?

Cheers, Tridge