[cifs-protocol] RE: erroneous references to little-endian

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 29 04:55:36 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 07:40 -0700, Richard Guthrie wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I wanted to confirm that the information below resolves your issue.  If I don't hear from you by Wednesday of next week I will go ahead and archive this issue.

No, it doesn't.  In short, this still feels like a complete mess, and is
only made worse by the tables.

> Thank you for the feedback.  In Section 7.3.1.1, the
> NETLOGON_NT_VERSION options bit table is indeed presented in
> little-endian byte ordering with the lowest order byte being
> represented by bits 0-7, the next higher byte represented by bits 8-15
> and so on. Therefore the claim that the bit table is presented in
> little-endian format is correct. We have verified this for other bit
> fields in [MS-ADTS] as well. The explicit specification of whether the
> bytes are ordered in little-endian or big endian format is intended to
> clarify the relative position of the bytes in a multi-byte bit flag.

Ahh, so the table is self-contradictory and even more useless than
normal.  I should have remembered, as this was one of the most annoying
things I found when first going over this area.

It is *never* valid to present bits in a different order to the bytes.

> The NETLOGON_NT_VERSION options is not represented as an integer
> string over LDAP. It may appear in the LDAP search filter of an LDAP
> ping (Section 7.3.3) as a binary encoded value or it appears in an
> LDAP response to an LDAP ping (Section 7.3.3.2) where it is packed as
> part of one of the following (in little-endian format):
> NETLOGON_PRIMARY_RESPONSE (described in Section 7.3.1.5),
> NETLOGON_SAM_LOGON_RESPONSE_NT40 (Section 7.3.1.7),
> NETLOGON_SAM_LOGON_RESPONSE (Section 7.3.1.8), or
> NETLOGON_SAM_LOGON_RESPONSE_EX (Section 7.3.1.9).  Please let us know
> if you have any further questions/feedback.

I think this is an excellent example of why this documentation fails
spectacularly to communicate these issues, and presents the least
implementable formation for the bit-fields it attempts to describe.

Is is ever actually useful to list bits with a value such that the bit
cannot be represented on the network with the calculation of 2^n = bit
value?