[cifs-protocol] Please clarify LSA and OsVersion behaviour in MS-NRPC (SRX090713600128)

Bill Wesse billwe at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 24 07:22:35 MDT 2009

Good morning Andrew. I have attached the original response email for your convenience. I notice that I previously neglected to provide the case number, which is SRX090713600128.

The document changes are not yet available; I have placed some relevant notes below concerning where I have reported the [MS-NRPC] document to be deficient, and will advise you as soon as we have the change information.

[MS-NRPC]: Netlogon Remote Protocol Specification

==========
2.2.1.3.6 NETLOGON_WORKSTATION_INFO

Notes:
The OsVersion member is an OSVERSIONINFOEX structure (284 bytes). <23> shows "5.2 (3790)" as an example, and there is no reference to OsVersion as an OSVERSIONINFOEX structure [MS-REF]

==========
<23> Section 2.2.1.3.6: The version and build number of the client operating system are used. For example, for Windows Server 2003 with SP1, the string "5.2 (3790)" is used, which indicates version 5.2 and build number 3790.

Notes:
There is no clear format specification for the operatingSystemVersion string example. Additional clarification concerning where that is meaningfully defined ([MS-ADA3] 2.55; the only appearance of operatingSystemVersion in [MS-ADTS] is at 3.1.1.2.3.5 Flag fRODCFilteredAttribute in Attribute searchFlags.

Regards,
Bill Wesse
MCSE, MCTS / Senior Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
8055 Microsoft Way
Charlotte, NC 28273
TEL:  +1(980) 776-8200
CELL: +1(704) 661-5438