[cifs-protocol] RE: erroneous references to little-endian

Richard Guthrie rguthrie at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 10 10:23:15 MDT 2009

Andrew,

We will continue to work to resolution on the broader issue of how to handle bit fields in the documentation.  Your feedback is much appreciated there.  For this specific issue, in general, for custom-marshaled fields you should see a bit field that follows the RFC convention where the high bit of the first byte to hit the wire is in column 0, and the low bit of the last byte to hit the wire is in column 31 (so that the bits are shown from left-to-right in the order they naturally appear over the network). We are going back through the documentation to ensure that custom marshaled fields have the appropriate specification for endianness.

Please let us know if you have any further questions/comments.

Richard Guthrie
Support Escalation Engineer
Open Protocols Support Team
http://blogs.msdn.com/OpenSpecification