[cifs-protocol] Session keys are not always 16 bytes long

Hongwei Sun hongweis at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 10 15:13:48 GMT 2009

Andrew,

   I am sending you the new windows behavior notes that have been added to MS-SMB with respect to the length of session key used for SMB signing.

<173> Section 3.1.5.1: Windows SMB clients use entire session key for signing if the session key length is equal to or more than 16, and pad session key with zero up to 16 bytes if session key length is less than 16; Windows SMB servers always use the actual length of the session key for signing.

   Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks !

Hongwei