[cifs-protocol] Structure of prefixMap over LDAP

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Dec 13 15:01:43 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 20:09 +0000, Obaid Farooqi wrote:
> Hi Andrew:
> We have finished our investigation on your question regarding
> prefixMap appearing on the wire.
>
> PrefixMap is an attribute specific to Microsoft's Active Directory
> implementation.  It is used by the system to map an internal structure
> to its corresponding OID.  PrefixMap resides in the directory and, as
> a consequence, can be retrieved via LDAP by using any LDAP-capable
> tool such as LDP or LDIFDE.
>
> PrefixMap does not appear on wire for any LDAP protocol related
> messages. Microsoft LDAP implementation do not access or use the
> attribute over wire. It only appears on the wire when explicitly
> requested.

Obaid,

That does not answer my question.  As long as it appears over LDAP, it
must be documented.  There are many aspects of many protocols that only
show up with non-default parameters.  That does not make these things
distinct from the protocol.

As such, can you please document the format of prefixMap.

Thank you.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.