[cifs-protocol] How to determine if an account should use AES?

Matthieu Patou mat at matws.net
Mon Aug 24 16:14:13 MDT 2009

Hello Sebastian,

I'm coming back to you on this subject.
Last week I made tests with one of the newsest version of samba4 which
tries to pretend to be have a windows 2008 forest/domain and dc
compatibility level.

And I didn't noticed any request from a windows 2008 acting as a client
of my S4 domain.

It raise a few possibilities but two are most probable:

1) S4 is not behaving like windows 2008 enough so that client thinks
that it is not a real windows 2008 and so it don't send this attibute.
2) This attribute is not sent by the client it's just the server that
based on some algorithm (ie. if os.version >=6.0 and os.name contains
"Windows" then set msDS-SupportedEncryptionType)

Can you indicate us if one of the two possibilities are the right one.
If not please indicate the correct one.
If yes please do not forget for the case 1 to indicate what exactly
trigger the sending of this attribute (or what block the transmission)
or if it's case 2 then give us the good algorithm.

In any case I can only reiterate the request of Andrew about pcap
formatted  network  trace with packets which are significant (ie those
holding this attribute).

Best regards.
Matthieu Patou.