[cifs-protocol] RE: MS-GPEF unclear definition of a field

Edgar Olougouna edgaro at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 10 21:34:45 GMT 2008

Hi Ronnie,

I have completed my research on your questions regarding the [MS-GPEF] document. As we agreed,  I will then proceed and close the case.
This is a summary of the answers.

Document MS-GPEF section 2.2.1.2.1

The efsblob starts with a 32 bit integer called reserved.

The text further describes the field as :

Reserved (4 bytes): Reserved. MUST be set to 0x01 0x00 0x01 0x00.

It is unclear from this description what the byte order should be.

I.e. should this field be

encoded as 0x01000100  or 0x00010001

Please enhance this section so it is clearer on what value this 32 bit field should have.

Answer:

-------

The reserved field at the beginning of the Efsblob packet is a byte array. The bytes 0x01, 0x00, 0x01, and 0x00 must be sent as bytes in the order specified.

The change will be reflected in an upcoming release:

Reserved (4 bytes):  Reserved array of bytes. MUST be set to 0x01 0x00 0x01 0x00, in that order.

Section 2.2.1.2.2

-------------------------

In one trace I have of this blob there is a 4 byte integer with the value 0x00000001 between the Reserved2 field and the first byte of the SID.

Is this a field that is missing in the documentation?

Answer:

-------

The Reserved2 field is defined as an 8 byte-field. And we agreed through clarification emails that the SID is starting at the correct offset.

Thanks for helping us improve the [MS-GPEF] specification.

Best regards,

Edgar A. Olougouna

Sr. SEE, Microsoft DSC Protocol Team | Email: edgaro at microsoft.com | Tel: +1.469.775.7189 x 57189

The efsblob starts with a 32 bit integer called reserved.

The text further describes the field as :

Reserved (4 bytes): Reserved. MUST be set to 0x01 0x00 0x01 0x00.

It is unclear from this description what the byte order should be.

I.e. should this field be

encoded as 0x01000100  or 0x00010001

Please enhance this section so it is clearer on what value this 32 bit

field should have.

Section 2.2.1.2.2

In one trace I have of this blob there is a 4 byte integer with the

value 0x00000001  between the Reserved2 field and the first byte of

the SID.

Is this a field that is missing in the documentation?

regards

ronnie sahlberg