[cifs-protocol] Re: (More): Status: SRX080803600053: [MS-NLMP] raw NTLMSSP tokens in GSS-API/SPNEGO

Adam Simpkins simpkins at cisco.com
Mon Nov 3 21:29:25 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 07:24:08AM -0800, Bill Wesse wrote:
> While I agree with your comments concerning RFC 4178 / GSS_Accept_sec_context(), that is not the case with the Windows implementation, which accepts raw NTLM and Kerberos tokens - as specified in the SPNEGO document ([MS-SPNG] 3.2.5.2 Universal Receiver), and as evidenced in the network traces. I must also note that RFC 4178 is not in the list of normative references for the [MS-NLMP] specification document (although, as you know, RFC 2743 is).
>
> As you know, our documentation people have already addressed this to a certain extent, in previous responses they have provided for you. But it appears that we have not met your needs completely.
>
> So I am obliged to ask you for any further recommendations concerning changes and clarifications you deem appropriate to [MS-SPNG] and [MS-NLMP].

The documentation updates so far have addressed the fact that the
Windows implementation accepts raw NTLM SSP tokens that are not
correctly embedded in GSS InitialContextTokens.  However, I don't
recall any updates addressing the fact that the Windows implementation
does not accept well-formed GSS InitialContextTokens containing NTLM
SSP.

This could probably be addressed by updating [MS-NLMP] somewhere to
indicate that the NTLM implementation of GSS_Init_sec_context() never
outputs a GSS InitialContextToken for the first token, and
GSS_Accept_sec_context() does not accept well-formed GSS
InitialContextTokens.

Updating [MS-NLMP] this way would address both the behavior with and
without SPNEGO, since SPNEGO should merely be invoking
GSS_Init_sec_context()/GSS_Accept_sec_context() to handle the inner
NTLM SSP mechToken.  The "Universal Receiver" section of [MS-SPNG]
probably wouldn't even be relevant anymore.

I'm not sure where the best place in [MS-NLMP] would be to mention
this.  Section 1.4 talks about the GSS-API interface to NTLM.  It
references section 3.4.6, but that only talks about the GSS_WrapEx()
call.

--
Adam Simpkins
simpkins at cisco.com