[cifs-protocol] RE: Specific sockaddr layout in MS-ADTS 7.3.1.7

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 26 22:21:00 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 14:03 -0700, Hongwei Sun wrote:
> Hi, Andrew,
>

>    Thanks for your question regarding NETLOGON_NT_VERSION_5EX_WITH_IP
> flag.
>

>    In terms of the server, it is not deprecated.  That is, current
> servers still support requests that include this flag and respond
> appropriately.  For a server to be interoperable with Windows clients,
> it needs to accept the flag in either way whenever it is sent.  The
> documentation explains what server should do if the bit is set in the
> NtVersion flag and what server should do if it is not set and that it
> should be prepared to accept a communication that contains this flag
> at any time.  Any actions taken by a Windows client based on this flag
> do not affect the interoperability of a server implementation.

All those words, yet no new information!

Can you please answer the question:  What windows client will set this
flag, and under what circumstances?  If no Microsoft clients set this
flag, then can the documentation be updated to reflect this.

This is an important question for implementers.  We could spend all year
implementing things that Microsoft servers do, but if we concentrate our
efforts on the things that exist the the real world, then we are all
much more productive.

Perhaps you could escalate this question to someone who is able to find
this out?