[cifs-protocol] Re: 600548 RE: SNTP issues

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 24 23:01:44 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 09:11 -0700, Richard Guthrie wrote:
> Andrew,
>

> The link you cite,
> http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/database/reports/ntp4/ntp4.pdf, is
> related to an implementation of NTPv4.  MS-SNTP is an implementation
> of NTPv3 as per RFC1305.  In appendix C of the RFC it talks about a
> field length for the authenticator field of 96 bits.  The MS-SNTP
> implementation uses an authenticator field length of 160 bits.  If you
> review the packet layout in section 2.2 of the MS-SNTP document, along
> with the accompanying text, this section describes the reasoning
> behind the check of 68 bytes to determine if the request is an MS-SNTP
> formatted request based on the difference in size of this field.  Used
> in conjunction with the version field this should alleviate any
> problems you have in distinguishing the request type.
>

> Hopefully this answers your question.  Thank you for the feedback.

And soon enough Microsoft will move to NTPv4, and no doubt keep exactly
the same extension format, as you have done already with the move from
SNTP to NTP.

I see two ways me can move forward on this:  I can help Microsoft stop
stepping on toes more, by a simple clarification of the documentation,
or we can watch the same mistakes (there is no world outside Microsoft,
clearly) happen again and again.

Perhaps you might wish to ask the NTP community how they feel about
this?

Which shall it be?

Perhaps you might wish to download and run the NTP distribution from
www.ntp.org and see how well it works with MS-SNTP packets?  If you are
unwilling or cannot, perhaps escalate this to someone who will?  Just
because something isn't in your documentation, does not mean it is not a
real pain in the real world.