[cifs-protocol] Re: Registry Setting to change NTP clients not to run as 'symmetric active'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 11 23:14:10 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 09:26 -0700, Hongwei Sun wrote:
> Andrew,
>

>    In Window XP and Window 2003, the mode of client used to
> synchronize with time server is specified in registry key HKLM\SYSTEM
> \CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\NtpServer.

Sure, but my point is that the protocol docs do not indicate Microsoft's
unfortunate behaviour in this area (clients should be clients, not
symmetric active), even in the windows-specific behaviours section.

I'm well aware that the registry setting can be modified, but in terms
of interoperability the pain comes from existing clients over which a
server implementer does not have control.

The fundamental flaw is in Microsoft's implementation in this case.