[cifs-protocol] RE: 600634 - RE: salt used for various principal types

Richard Guthrie rguthrie at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 26 15:37:35 GMT 2008

Andrew

Microsoft does use different methods of calculating the salt value used in encryption depending on the type account that is submitted to the salt calculation implementation.  For example, in the case of interdomain trust accounts, "krbtgt" is appended.  In the case of machine accounts, "host" is appended to the start of the salt value.

Implementers are free to implement a salt algorithm of their choice, without affecting interoperability.  In the case of the implementation acting as a KDC, the KDC that changes a password also stores that salt value in Active Directory in the supplementalCredentials field.  In the case of a client using a salt value the KDC does not know how to interpret, the KDC will tell the client which salt value to use.

We also have a related issue we are working together, where we have documented what the salt value structure stored in AD looks as part of the work we are currently doing on the supplementalCredentials structure.  This value is stored as a UNICODE_STRING as per the documentation on KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL (section 2.2.10.4 Primary:Kerberos - KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL) and KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL_NEW (Section 2.2.10.6 Primary:Kerberos-Newer-Keys - KERB_STORED_CREDENTIAL_NEW).

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Richard Guthrie
Open Protocols Support Team
Support Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
Tel: +1 (469) 775-7794
E-mail: rguthrie at microsoft.com
We're hiring http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=A976CE32-B0B9-41E3-AF57-05A82B88383E&start=1&interval=10&SortCol=DatePosted